Thursday, February 3, 2011

Monkeys and Tomatoes

Yesterday morning started off... well... unlike any other morning.

I woke up and looked out my window and what do I see? Lots and lots of these cute little buggers:



Cute right? Yeah... so I thought too until I took this picture:



and SECONDS later the dirty little creepy creature LEPT at me and jumped through my window and INTO my room. 

Needless to say, chaos quickly ensued. And by chaos I mean, me screaming and running out of my room and yelling down to Arita, "ARITA ARITA!!! What do I do if there is a monkey in my room???" (I'm not sure why I felt that just because she was here last year she would know what to do in such a circumstance.)
Anyways, by the time I got back to my room I watched as the little bugger ran out my window with a loaf of bread. Teaches me not to leave my windows in the morning. Seriously. Look how smug he looks:



Well, after that whole fiasco took place, I went and finished registering for classes. Which, mind you, South Africans make significantly more difficult than necessary. In fact, it almost seems like they sat down collectively and asked each other, "how can we possibly make this process the most challenging and stressful for absolutely everyone involved?" To their credit, they succeeded in doing so. 

However, I was somehow lucky enough to make it through the process both alive and with the majority of my sanity and I am now registered for 2 psych classes, 1 anthro class, and 1 criminology class. They seem fairly interesting, and best of all the schedule works out with all 4 of them. Which, when taken in context with what I just told you, is quite the feat. 

To reward ourselves for such an accomplishment, me, Patty, Azra, Arita, and Tim went to the beach. We had to take the mini buses to get there which though this time did not seem to be as dangerous, we had to wait obnoxiously long and eventually just took the metro bus system. 
When we got to the beach we met with Arita's friend Tubs (who is one of the locals we have been hanging out with here) and we all hung out at the BEAUTIFUL beach.





We were having a good time until we realized that I had turned into a bright red plump tomato. (Well... hopefully not plump.) Anyways, needless to say, the rest of the day was a bit painful. However, I didn't much mind because I reminded myself that the alternative was frost bite back in Minnesota. 

After the beach we all went again to the local township with Jamal (the other Interstudy student), a few other international students, and Tubs and Thando. We had another braai there and then left early so that I could go to sleep because I was one tired little lobster. :)




That's about it for now. I finally got the internet sitch figured out so I should be able to update a bit more often. Miss and love you all. 


No comments:

Post a Comment